A curated list of resources for DevOps
What is DevOps?
DevOps (a clipped compound of “development” and “operations”) is a culture, movement or practice that emphasizes the collaboration and communication of both software developers and other information-technology (IT) professionals while automating the process of software delivery and infrastructure changes. Wikipedia
- DevOps Culture
- Conway’s Law - States that organisations will tend to produce systems that mirror their communication structures
- How to Hire - Some useful tips on hiring
- What security experts need to know about DevOps and continuous delivery - Info and benefits for Security and DevOps teams working together
- DevOps and the Myth of Efficiency Part 1 & Part 2 - Complex vs Complicated and Efficiency - DevOps for Enterprise
- The War of Independence for Enterprise Architecture - the role of Enterprise Architects in DevOps: 4 ‘R’s - Review, Renewal, Refactoring, Resilience
- Choosing Design over Architecture - Starting from user stories and user experience
- How to write a Postmortem
- Organizing GitHub issues - One (of many) approaches to managing and tagging Github issues
- Release Ready Teams - An infographic showing the how Atlassian’s agile teams release early and often
- Using Kanban over Scrum - A useful post on the benefits of Kanban over Scrum (but not always relevant for every team)
- Wardley Mapping - An introduction to Value Chain Mapping to help understand the “Why” for organisations and Devops Teams.
- Basic Infrastructure Patterns - Basic patterns seen while working on build/CI/deployment technology
- Infrastructure as Code - the approach to defining infrastructure through code that can then be treated just like any software
- The Curious Case of Linux Containers - A Blog Post discussing real issues of deploying containers across distributed systems.
- The Oncoming Train of Enterprise Container Deployments - Blog summary of containers and a few antipatterns.
- DevOps, Containers & Microservices: Separating the hype from the reality - A presentation outlining a future of how to build and deploy applications to generate business value.
- Tectonic Summit Videos - A YouTube playlist of Container and DevOps presentationss from the Tectonic Summit in December 2015
- A Practical Introduction to Docker Container Terminology - When discussing an architecture for containerization, it’s important to have a solid grasp on the related vocabulary.
- The Art of Command Line - A guide on the Command Line for beginners and the experienced
- Infrastructure as Database - Is infrastructure more like a DB than code?
- You Wouldn’t Base64 a Password - Cryptography Decoded - A primer on Cryptography for Developers
- How to Protect Your Infrastructure Against the Basic Attacker - A good outline of important security configurations in Linux based systems
- Docker - The tool that kickstarted the modern container movement
- rkt - An alternative container runtime and spec by the team at CoreOS
- CoreOS - A small linux operating system that runs containers
- RancherOS - Another small container OS where the entire OS is containerized.
- Project Atomic - RedHat’s container OS and tools
- Snappy Ubuntu Core - Canonical’s container OS
- Git - The most popular distributed version control system.
- Github - Git repo hosting as a Service
- Gitlab - Self-hosted Git repos
Continuous Integration & Deployment
- Awesome Lists - A list of Awesome lists (very meta!)
- DevOps Weekly - A weekly mailing list with interesting DevOps related News and Tools
- Sysadvent - One DevOps/Sysadmin related article for each day of December, ending on the 25th article.
- The Phoenix Project - A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win