Suspenders is the base Rails application used at COSMIT to create powerful applications with less effort.
First install the suspenders gem:
gem install cosmit-suspenders
This will create a Rails app in
[your_project_name] using the latest version of Rails.
- Enable Circle CI Continuous Integration
- Enable GitHub auto deploys to Heroku staging and review apps.
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at Suspenders' Gemfile, which will be appended to the default generated projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- Delayed Job for background processing (for default this is disabled to avoid expenses on Heroku)
- jQuery Rails for jQuery
- Normalize for resetting browser styles
- Postgres for access to the Postgres database
- Rack Timeout to abort requests that are taking too long
- Recipient Interceptor to avoid accidentally sending emails to real people from staging
- Simple Form for form markup and style
- Passenger to serve HTTP requests
- Slim Rails For better HTML code on your files
- Active Admin For administrative interfaces
- Twitter Boostrap SASS For, of course, Twitter Bootstrap Framework
- Meta Tags SEO is important dude!
- Coffee Rails Adds support for .coffee files
- Devise For awesome user authentications
- InitJS Modularize the execution of your JS files
- Font Awesome Awesome Fonts!
And development gems like:
- Dotenv for loading environment variables
- Pry Rails for interactively exploring objects
- Bullet for help to kill N+1 queries and unused eager loading
- Bundler Audit for scanning the Gemfile for insecure dependencies based on published CVEs
- Spring for fast Rails actions via pre-loading
- Quiet Assets for muting assets pipeline log messages
- Thin to serve HTTP requests
And testing gems like:
- Capybara and Capybara Webkit for integration testing
- Factory Girl for test data
- Formulaic for integration testing HTML forms
- RSpec for unit testing
- RSpec Mocks for stubbing and spying
- Shoulda Matchers for common RSpec matchers
- Timecop for testing time
Suspenders also comes with:
./bin/setupconvention for new developer setup
./bin/deployconvention for deploying to Heroku
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout
- A few nice time formats set up for localization
Rack::Deflaterto compress responses with Gzip
- A low database connection pool limit
- Safe binstubs
- t() and l() in specs without prefixing with I18n
- An automatically-created
SECRET_KEY_BASEenvironment variable in all environments
- Configuration for CircleCI Continuous Integration (tests)
- Configuration for Hound Continuous Integration (style)
- The analytics adapter Segment (and therefore config for Google Analytics, Intercom, Facebook Ads, Twitter Ads, etc.)
- Pure Google Analytics script if you don't want to spend money with Segment
- Google Web Fonts script is already included on "application" layout
You can optionally create Heroku staging and production apps:
suspenders app --heroku true
- Creates a staging and production Heroku app
- Sets them as
- Configures staging with
RACK_ENVenvironment variable set to
- Adds the Rails Stdout Logging gem to configure the app to log to standard out, which is how Heroku's logging works.
- Creates a Heroku Pipeline for review apps
You can optionally specify alternate Heroku flags:
suspenders app \ --heroku true \ --heroku-flags "--region eu --addons sendgrid,ssl"
See all possible Heroku flags:
heroku help create
This will initialize a new git repository for your Rails app. You can
bypass this with the
suspenders app --skip-git true
You can optionally create a GitHub repository for the suspended Rails app. It requires that you have Hub on your system:
curl http://hub.github.com/standalone -sLo ~/bin/hub && chmod +x ~/bin/hub suspenders app --github organization/project
This has the same effect as running:
hub create organization/project
Suspenders uses spring by default.
It makes Rails applications load faster, but it might introduce confusing issues
around stale code not being refreshed.
If you think your application is running old code, run
And if you'd rather not use spring, add
DISABLE_SPRING=1 to your login file.
Suspenders requires the latest version of Ruby.
Some gems included in Suspenders have native extensions. You should have GCC installed on your machine before generating an app with Suspenders.
Use OS X GCC Installer for Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6).
Use Command Line Tools for XCode for Lion (OS X 10.7) or Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8).
PostgreSQL needs to be installed and running for the
db:create rake task.
If you have problems, please create a GitHub Issue.
Thank you, contributors!
Suspenders is Copyright © 2008-2016 thoughtbot. It is free software, and may be redistributed under the terms specified in the LICENSE file.
Thanks to: Thoughtbot
Suspenders is maintained and funded by thoughtbot, inc. The names and logos for thoughtbot are trademarks of thoughtbot, inc.