Azure AD Connect Configuration Documenter
AAD Connect configuration documenter is a tool to generate documentation of an Azure AD Connect installation. Currently, the documentation is only limited to the Azure AD Connect sync configuration.
The goal of this project is to:
- To enable quick understanding of the synchronization configuration and "how it happens"!
- To build confidence in getting things right when making changes to the default configuration!!
- To know what was changed when you applied a new build / configuration of Azure AD Connect or added/udpated custom sync rules!!!
- .NET Framework 4.5 to be able to run the tool
- A fair understanding of MIIS 2003 / ILM 2007 / FIM 2010 / MIM 2016 sync engine technical concepts to be able to understand the report. A sample report generated by the tool can be found listed in the Wiki section.
How to use the tool:
- Download the latest release AzureADConnectSyncDocumenter.zip from the releases tab under the Code tab tab, UNBLOCK the downloaded zip file and extract the zip file to an empty local folder on a machine which has .NET Framework 4.5 installed.
- This will extract the Documenter application binaries along with the sample data files for "Contoso".
- Make sure that the tool runs by double-clicking on the cmd file AzureADConnectSyncDocumenter.cmd.
- Export the Server Configuration of your pilot / test Azure AD Connect sync server by running Get-ADSyncServerConfiguration cmdlet defined in ADSync module shipped with Azure AD Connect.
Import-Module ADSync Get-ADSyncServerConfiguration -Path "<CompletePathToOutputFolder>"
- Copy the configuration export files produced in the previous step to a folder under the "Data" directory of the Documenter tool.
- e.g. the "Pilot" configuration files for the customer "Contoso" are provided as a sample under the "Data\Contoso\Pilot" folder.
- If you want to document the changes from a specific baseline, export the server configuration of your baseline / production Azure AD Connect server and copy the output to a folder under the Documenter "Data" directory.
- e.g. the "Production" configuration files for the customer "Contoso" are provided as a sample under the "Data\Contoso\Production" folder.
- Edit AzureADConnectSyncDocumenter.cmd for the values of "Pilot" and "Production" directories.
- If you don't have a baseline / production config, specify the same path as the "Pilot" config.
- Run the updated batch file. Upon successful execution, the generated report will be found in the Documenter "Report" folder.
A sample report generated by the tool can be found listed in the Wiki section.