Libwish is a rich, developer friendly text-mode library.
How to build
mkdir -p build/release cd build/release cmake ../.. -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release make sudo make install
-lwish to link against libwish.
Libwish requires terminfo, which often comes bundled with ncurses.
In that case, add
-lcurses to the link flags as well.
Why use libwish instead of ncurses?
I have five major problems with ncurses:
- No support for Unicode
- No support for colors outside of pairs
- A very limited support for 256-colors terminals
- A terrible API (yx coordinates anyone?)
- Full of globals and non prefixed, very short names
- The API is fixed in stone
Libwish solves every one of these issues:
- Full Unicode support via UTF-8, even outside of the BMP
- Support for raw 256-colors
- A nicer, self-contained API under the
- The API is open to changes, while safe thanks to SemVer
Of course, keep in mind that libwish is still a young project.
I want to contribute
Open an issue or a pull request if you already have some code, and we will try to improve the project together.
Libwish is available under the MIT License.