OGRE3D (Object-Oriented Graphics Rendering Engine)
Ogre is a 3D graphics rendering engine. Not to be confused with a game engine which provides Networking, Sound, Physics, etc.
Ogre 2.2 has had a substantial overhaul to focus on high performance graphics using Data Oriented Design with:
- Cache friendly Entity and Node layout
- Threaded batch processing of Nodes, Frustum Culling and other techniques such as Forward Clustered
- SIMD processing using AoSoA (Array of Structures of Arrays) memory layout
- Texture loaded via background streaming
This makes Ogre suitable for projects aiming to have a large number of objects on screen, or have tight rendering budgets such as VR.
This is the repository where the 2.x branch is actively developed on. Active development of the 1.x branch happens in https://github.com/OGRECave/ogre
Both branches are in active development. See What version to choose? to understand the differences between 1.x and 2.x
Both repositories are compatible for merging, but have been split in separate ways as their differences have diverged long enough.
- Direct3D 11
- OpenGL 3.3+
- Windows (XP*, 7, 8, 10)
(*) XP support is through GL3+. Recent drivers are needed. Old GPUs do not have stable GL drivers capable of running Ogre 2.x. (**) Metal Backend is highly recommended. GL backend is supported in macOS, but the window subsystem hasn't been ported to 2.2 yet.
- Clang 3.3 or newer
- GCC 5 or newer
- VS2008 or newer
Who's using it?
PBS & HDR
Voxel Cone Tracing (VCT) GI
Instant Radiosity GI
- Visual Studio 2008 SP1 - 2017 (2019 not tested). MinGW may work but we strongly recommend Visual Studio.
- DirectX June 2010 SDK. Optional. Needed if you use older Visual Studio versions and want the D3D11 plugin. Also comes with useful tools.
- Windows 10 SDK. Contains the latest DirectX SDK, thus recommended over the DX June 2010 SDK, but you may still want to install the June 2010 SDK for those tools.
- Windows 7 or newer is highly recommended. For Windows Vista & 7, you need to have the KB2670838 update installed. YOUR END USERS NEED THIS UPDATE AS WELL.
- Clang >3.5 or GCC >4.0
sudo apt-get install libfreetype6-dev libfreeimage-dev libzzip-dev libxrandr-dev libxaw7-dev freeglut3-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev doxygen graphviz python-clang-4.0 libsdl2-dev cmake ninja-build git
pacman -S freeimage freetype2 libxaw libxrandr mesa zziplib cmake gcc
We provide quick download-build scripts under the Scripts/BuildScripts/output folder.
You can download all of these scripts as a compressed 7zip file
If you're on Linux, make sure to first install the dependencies (i.e. run the sudo apt-get above)
Download and Building manually
If for some reason you want to do it by hand, there's no script for your platform, or you want to learn what the scripts are actually doing, see Setting Up Ogre from the Ogre manual.
For more information see the online manual. The manual can build on Linux using Doxygen:
cd build/Debug ninja OgreDoc
Support and Resources
- Bug Reports
- Contributing via Pull Requests
- Ogre 2.1+ FAQ
- Older resources for interfaces carried over from 1.x
If you want to test or evaluate Ogre, you can try the prebuilt samples for Windows.
OGRE (www.ogre3d.org) is made available under the MIT License.
Copyright (c) 2000-present Torus Knot Software Ltd
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.