TableTranscriber (TT) is a PyBossa application that aims to take old books and use a series of crowd-sourcing tasks to transcribe data inside tables (which are poorly recognized by OCR processes).
In this first version TT has two main interdependent Tasks:
- Finding tables and collecting its metadata
- Transcribing found tables
To use TT you will need:
- A running PyBossa and a user key.
- A webserver to suport TT tasks providing statical files (as images and some code).
To use Brazilian books first example you will need:
- The "imagemagick" open software to deal with PDF books and create pages' images.
We are going to show how to create a transcription project using a Ubuntu platform. So, to pass the requirements you'll basically have:
- Follow PyBossa's installation guide;
- Use the Apache probably already installed at your machine and the default "/var/www" folder to put TT static files;
- Install "imagemagick" package using: sudo apt-get install imagemagick
Now, you'll need to:
- Start PyBossa and create your user;
- Download TT;
- Choose and prepare a book to have tables transcribed;
- Put static files at web server;
- Create tasks;
- Have fun!
Preparing a Book
To use it you will have to go to the book's portal and choose a book, and get its ID, for example: 00245000 (the ID is exactly the PDF name. You don't have to download it).
Execute the script:
This will create a directory for the book and some some other inside it. For now the one that will be usefull will be the "baixa_resolucao". (ToDo: In newer versions we will translate everything to English).
Serving Static Files
Go to the "/var/www" folder of your server (or any other folder that can serve static files) and do the following:
#1. create project folder sudo mkdir app-tabletranscriber cd app-tabletransciber #2. make some important folder available - substitute <TT_folder> by the complete path of the application folder. sudo cp -r <TT_folder>/css . sudo cp -r <TT_folder>/images . sudo cp -r <TT_folder>/js . #3. make the downloaded book available sudo mkdir books sudo cp -r <TT_folder>/books/00245000/baixa_resolucao/ books/00245000
To make sure everything is OK, go to your browser and enter URL: http://YOUR.SERVER/app-tabletranscriber (we will call this
//Will be here SOON!