= Active Admin
Active Admin is a framework for creating administration style interfaces. It abstracts common business application patterns to make it simple for developers to implement beautiful and elegant interfaces with very little effort.
== Help / Support / Demo
- Help & Advice: http://groups.google.com/group/activeadmin
- Bug Reports & Feature Requests: https://github.com/gregbell/active_admin/issues
- Documentation & Guides: http://activeadmin.info/documentation.html
- RDoc: http://rubydoc.info/github/gregbell/active_admin/master/frames
- Live demo: http://demo.activeadmin.info/admin
- Website: http://www.activeadmin.info
- Allow developers to quickly create gorgeous administration interfaces (Not Just CRUD)
- Build a DSL for developers and an interface for businesses.
- Ensure that developers can easily customize every nook and cranny of the interface.
- Build common interfaces as shareable gems so that the entire community benefits.
== Getting Started
Active Admin is released as a Ruby Gem. The gem is to be installed within a Ruby on Rails 3 application. To install, simply add the following to your Gemfile:
Gemfile in Rails < 3.1
If you are using Rails >= 3.1, you must also have sass-rails in your Gemfile:
Gemfile in Rails >= 3.1
gem 'activeadmin' gem 'sass-rails'
After updating your bundle, run the installer
$> rails generate active_admin:install
The installer creates an initializer used for configuring defaults used by Active Admin as well as a new folder at app/admin to put all your admin configurations.
Migrate your db and start the server:
$> rake db:migrate $> rails server
Visit http://localhost:3000/admin and log in using:
- User: [email protected]
- Password: password
Voila! You're on your brand new Active Admin dashboard.
To register your first model, run:
$> rails generate active_admin:resource [MyModelName]
This creates a file at app/admin/my_model_names.rb for configuring the resource. Refresh your web browser to see the interface.
== Next Steps
The best place to get documentation is at http://activeadmin.info/documentation.html.
To view a sample Active Admin application, checkout http://demo.activeadmin.info
If you have any questions, please email the mailing list at http://groups.google.com/group/activeadmin
== Tools Being Used
We believe strongly in not writing code unless we have to, so Active Admin is built using many other open source projects:
InheritedResources:: Inherited Resources speeds up development by making your controllers inherit all restful actions so you just have to focus on what is important. Formtastic:: A DSL for semantically building amazing forms. Devise:: User authentication is done using Devise Kaminari:: Pagination for rails apps Iconic Icons:: Excellent SVG icon set designed by P.J. Onori: http://somerandomdude.com/projects/iconic
== Roadmap & Issue Tracking
We are using the awesome Github issues! Please submit bugs or features to https://github.com/gregbell/active_admin/issues
== Note on Patches/Pull Requests
- Fork the project.
- Make a NEW TOPIC BRANCH, then make your feature addition or bug fix
- Add specs and cukes for it. This is important so I don't break it in a future version unintentionally.
- Commit, do not mess with rakefile, version, or history.
- Send a pull request.
Copyright (c) 2010 Greg Bell, VersaPay Corporation. See LICENSE for details.