A curated list of amazingly awesome open source sysadmin resources inspired by Awesome PHP
- Awesome Sysadmin
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Storage
- Configuration Management Database
- Configuration Management
- Continuous Integration
- Distributed Filesystems
- Hosting Control Panels
- IT Asset Management
- Metric & Metric Collection
- Network Configuration Management
- Software Containers
- Ticketing systems
- Project Management
- Version control
- Amanda - Client-server model backup tool.
- Bacula - Another Client-server model backup tool.
- Backuppc - Client-server model backup tool with file pooling scheme.
- Burp - Network backup and restore program.
- Rsnapshot - Filesystem Snapshotting Utility.
- SafeKeep - Centralized pull-based backup using
- TarSnap - Secure backup service with an open-source client.
- UrBackup - Another client-server backup system.
- Backup - Provides an elegant DSL in Ruby for performing backups on UNIX-like systems.
- Clonezilla - Partition and disk imaging/cloning program.
- Fog - Another computer cloning solution.
- Redo Backup - Easy Backup, Recovery and Restore.
- CloudStack - Cloud computing software for creating, managing, and deploying infrastructure cloud services.
- Eucalpytus - Open source private cloud software with AWS compatibility.
- OpenNebula - An user-driven cloud management platform for sysadmins and devops.
- OpenStack - Open source software for building private and public clouds.
- git-annex assistant - A synchronised folder on each of your OSX and Linux computers, Android devices, removable drives, NAS appliances, and cloud services.
- ownCloud - Provides universal access to your files via the web, your computer or your mobile devices.
- Seafile - Another Open Source Cloud Storage solution.
- TahoeLAFS - Secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant, peer-to-peer distributed data store and distributed file system.
Configuration Management Database
Configuration management database (CMDB) software.
- i-doit - Open Source IT Documentation and CMDB.
- iTop - A complete open source, ITIL, web based service management tool.
Configuration management tools.
- Ansible - It's written in Python and manages the nodes over SSH.
- CFEngine - Lightweight agent system. Configuration state is specified via a declarative language.
- Chef - It's written in Ruby and Erlang and uses a pure-Ruby DSL.
- Puppet - It's written in Ruby and uses Puppet's declarative language or a Ruby DSL.
- Salt - It's written in Python.
- Slaughter - It's written in Perl.
Continuous integration software.
- GitLab CI - Based off of ruby. They also provide GitLab, which manages git repositories.
- Go - Open source agile build and release management software.
- Jenkins - An extendable open source continuous integration server.
Network distributed filesystems.
- Ceph - Distributed object store and file system.
- DRBD - Disributed Replicated Block Device.
- GlusterFS - Scale-out network-attached storage file system.
- HDFS - Distributed, scalable, and portable file-system written in Java for the Hadoop framework.
- Lustre - A type of parallel distributed file system, generally used for large-scale cluster computing.
- MooseFS - Fault tolerant, network distributed file system.
- XtreemFS - XtreemFS is a fault-tolerant distributed file system for all storage needs.
- Bind - The most widely used name server software.
- djbdns - A collection of DNS applications, including tinydns.
- Knot - High performance authoritative-only DNS server.
- NSD - Authoritative only, high performance, simple name server.
- PowerDNS - DNS server with a variety of data storage back-ends and load balancing features.
- Unbound - Validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver.
- Yadifa - Lightweight authoritative Name Server with DNSSEC capabilities powering the .eu top-level domain.
Hosting Control Panels
Web hosting control panels
- Feathur - VPS Provisioning and Management Software.
- ISPConfig - Hosting control panel for Linux.
- VestaCP - Hosting panel for Linux but with Nginx.
- Virtualmin - Control panel for Linux based on webmin.
IMAP/POP3 mail servers.
- Courier IMAP/POP3 - Fast, scalable, enterprise IMAP and POP3 server.
- Cyrus IMAP/POP3 - Intended to be run on sealed servers, where normal users are not permitted to log in.
- Dovecot - IMAP and POP3 server written primarily with security in mind.
- Qpopper - One of the oldest and most popular server implementations of POP3.
IT Asset Management
IT Assets Management software.
- GLPI - Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface.
- OCS Inventory NG - Enables users to inventory their IT assets.
- 389 Directory Server - Developed by Red Hat.
- Apache Directory Server - Apache Software Foundation project written in Java.
- Fusion Directory - Improve the Management of the services and the company directory based on OpenLDAP.
- OpenDJ - Fork of OpenDS.
- OpenDS - Another directory server written in Java.
- OpenLDAP - Developed by the OpenLDAP Project.
- Cacti - Web-based network monitoring and graphing tool.
- check_mk - Collection of extensions for Nagios.
- Icinga - Fork of Nagios.
- LibreNMS - fork of Observium.
- Monit - Small Open Source utility for managing and monitoring Unix systems.
- Munin - Networked resource monitoring tool.
- Naemon - Network monitoring tool based on the Nagios 4 core with performance enhancements and new features.
- Nagios - Computer system, network and infrastructure monitoring software application.
- Observium - SNMP monitoring for servers and networking devices. Runs on linux.
- Opsview - Based on Nagios 4, Opsview Core is ideal for small IT and test environments.
- Riemann - Flexible and fast events processor allowing complex events/metrics analysis.
- Sensu - Open source monitoring framework.
- Shinken - Another monitoring framework.
- Thruk - Multibackend monitoring webinterface with support for Naemon, Nagios, Icinga and Shinken.
- Xymon - Network monitoring inspired by Big Brother.
- Zabbix - Eenterprise-class software for monitoring of networks and applications
- Zenoss - Application, server, and network management platform based on Zope.
Metric & Metric Collection
Metric gathering and display software.
- Collectd - System statistic collection daemon.
- Collectl - High precision system performance metrics collecting tool.
- Diamond - Python based statistic collection daemon.
- Graphite - Open source scaleable graphing server.
- InfluxDB - Open source distributed time series database with no external dependencies.
- RRDtool - Open source industry standard, high performance data logging and graphing system for time series data.
- Statsd - Application statistic listener.
Network Configuration Management
Network configuration management tools.
- RANCID - Monitors network device's configurarion and maintain history of changes.
- rConfig - Another network device configuration management tool.
- phpList - Newsletter manager.
- Cassandra - Distributed DBMS designed to handle large amounts of data across many servers.
- CouchDB - Ease of use, with multi-master replication document-oriented database system.
- MongoDB - Another document-oriented database system.
- Redis - Networked, in-memory, key-value data store with optional durability.
- Riak - Another fault-tolerant key-value NoSQL database.
Comparison of NoSQL servers: http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis
- Firebird - True universal open source database.
- MariaDB - Community-developed fork of the MySQL.
- MySQL - Most popular RDBMS server.
- Percona Server - Enhanced, drop-in MySQL replacement.
- PostgreSQL - Object-relational database management system (ORDBMS).
- SQLite - Library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL DBS.
- Exim - Message transfer agent (MTA) developed at the University of Cambridge.
- OpenSMTPD - Secure SMTP server implementation from the OpenBSD project.
- Postfix - Fast, easy to administer, and secure Sendmail replacement.
- Qmail - Secure Sendmail replacement.
- Sendmail - Message transfer agent (MTA).
Operating system–level virtualization.
- Docker - Open platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications.
- OpenVZ - Container-based virtualization for Linux.
- Cluster SSH - Controls a number of xterm windows via a single graphical console.
- Mosh - The mobile shell.
- parallel-ssh - Provides parallel versions of OpenSSH and related tools.
- SSH Power Tool - Execute commands and upload files to many servers simultaneously without using pre-shared keys.
- Piwik - Free and open source web analytics application.
Web-based ticketing system.
- Bugzilla - General-purpose bugtracker and testing tool originally developed and used by the Mozilla project.
- Cerb - A group-based e-mail management project built with a commercial open source license.
- Flyspray - Web-based bug tracking system written in PHP.
- MantisBT - Another web-based bug tracking system.
- osTicket - Open source support ticket system.
- Request Tracker - Ticket-tracking system written in Perl.
- TheBugGenie - Open source ticket system with extremely complete users rights granularity.
- Sysdig - Capture system state and activity from a running Linux instance, then save, filter and analyze.
Web-based project management and bug tracking systems.
- ChiliProject - Fork of Redmine.
- GitLab - Clone of GitHub written in ruby.
- Redmine - Written in ruby on rails.
- The Bug Genie - Written in PHP.
- Trac - Written in python.
Software versioning and revision control.
- Git - Distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) with an emphasis on speed.
- Mercurial - Another distributed revision control.
- Subversion - Client-server revision control system.
- Ganeti - Cluster virtual server management software tool built on top of KVM and Xen.
- KVM - Linux kernel virtualization infrastructure.
- oVirt - Manages virtual machines, storage and virtual networks.
- VirtualBox - Virtualization product from Oracle Corporation.
- Xen - Virtual machine monitor for 32/64 bit Intel / AMD (IA 64) and PowerPC 970 architectures.
- OpenVPN - Uses a custom security protocol that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange.
- Pritunl - OpenVPN based solution. Easy to set up.
- SoftEther - Multi-protocol software VPN with advanced features
- sshuttle - Poor man's VPN.
- strongSwan - Complete IPsec implementation for Linux.
- tinc - Distributed p2p VPN.
- RainLoop - Simple, modern & fast web-based IMAP client.
- Roundcube - Browser-based IMAP client with an application-like user interface.
- Apache - Most popular web server.
- Cherokee - Lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy.
- Lighttpd - Web server more optimized for speed-critical environments.
- Nginx - Reverse proxy, load balancer, HTTP cache, and web server.
- DokuWiki - Simple to use and highly versatile wiki that doesn't require a database.
- ikiwiki - A wiki compiler.
- Mediawiki - Used to power Wikipedia.
Various resources, such as books, websites and articles, for improving your skills and knowledge.
Sysadmin related books.
- The Linux Command Line - A book about the Linux command line by William Shotts.
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win - How DevOps techniques can fix the problems that happen in IT organizations.
- The Practice of System and Network Administration - The first and second editions describes the best practices of system and network administration, independent of specific platforms or technologies.
- The Visible Ops Handbook: Implementing ITIL in 4 Practical and Auditable Steps - Is a methodology designed to jumpstart implementation of controls and process improvement.
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook - Approaches system administration from a practical perspective.
Open source code editors.
- Atom - A hackable text editor from Github.
- Brackets - Open source code editor for web designers and front-end developers.
- Eclipse - IDE written in Java with an extensible plug-in system.
- Geany - GTK2 text editor.
- Haroopad - Markdown editor with live preview.
Useful sysadmin related websites.
- Ops School - Comprehensive program that will help you learn to be an operations engineer.
- Dotdeb - Repository with LAMP updated packages.
Please see CONTRIBUTING for details.