Happily maintained dev stack and starter kit for React universal apps. One stack for browser, server, mobile.
If you are using different node versions on your machine, use nvm to manage them.
- Truly universal architecture
- code shared across platforms
- server side rendering
- isomorphic data fetching
- prerender for static hosting
- Functional works: immutability, hot reloading, time travel
- Test driven development ready
- React and React Native
- formatjs Internationalize your web apps on the client & server.
- React Helmet A document head manager for React.
- chriso/validator.js For simple yet powerfull Este sync/async validation.
- bluebird Because it’s better than native implementation.
- LESS, SASS, Stylus, or plain CSS with autoprefixer
- shortid Short id generator. Url-friendly. Non-predictable.
- gulp For cross platform scripting.
- And much more. Check source code.
git clone https://github.com/este/este.git este-app cd este-app npm install
- point your browser to localhost:8000
- build something beautiful
gulprun web app in development mode
gulp -prun web app in production mode for local testing
npm testrun all checks and tests
gulp mocharun mocha unit tests
gulp eslinteslint app
gulp build -pbuild app for production, for example for Heroku
node src/serverstart app, remember to set NODE_ENV=production
gulp to-htmlrender app to HTML for static hosting like Firebase
For absolute beginners: react-howto.
- wiki: Recommended React Components
- wiki: Recommended Sublime Text 3 Packages
Use this if you are using JEST or another library, which has to be compiled.
- Install Python - Install version 2.7 of Python and add it to your path or/and create a PYTHONPATH environment variable.
- Install Visual Studio (Express Edition is fine) - We will need this for some of modules that are compiled when we are installing Este. Download VS Express, get one of the versions that has C++ - Express 2013 for Windows Desktop for example.
- Set Visual Studio Version Flags - We need to tell node-gyp (something that is used for compiling addons) what version of Visual Studio we want to compile with. You can do this either through an environment variable GYP_MSVS_VERSION. If you are using Express, you have to say GYP_MSVS_VERSION=2013e.
Thanks to Ryanlanciaux
Tips and Tricks
- To check current app state, just open browser console.
- Install Redux devtools Chrome extension zalmoxisus/redux-devtools-extension
- With functional programming (SOLID: the next step is Functional), we don’t need DI containers. We can use plain old Pure DI. Check
- Learn immutable.js, for example Seq. Handy even for native arrays and objects. For example, get object values:
- Recommended editors are sublimetext and atom.io (tips).
Why do I get EACCES error during
This indicates that you do not have permission to write to the directories that npm uses to store packages and commands. One possible solution is to change the permission to npm’s default directory.
1. Find the path to npm’s directory:
npm config get prefix For many systems, this will be
2. Change the owner of npm’s directory’s to the effective name of the current user
sudo chown -R `whoami` <directory>
Why does the CSS flicker when starting the app/refreshing it?
In dev mode, webpack loads all the style inline, which makes them hot reloadable. This behaviour disappears in production mode (
Does Hapi/SailJS/Restify/Rails work with Este? Do you have any example app for this framework?
Yes it does. Este is agnostic of what you use in your backend and is completely decoupled from the API. It uses an Express app for server-side rendering, but you can use anything for your API. The only benefit that an Express API has is that it can simply be
use() by the main app, like any other middleware.
Is it possible use XXX library with Este?
Yes. Este makes little assumptions about your stack, and passing every bit of needed info through props. This is not a framework, nothing prevents you from picking the bits you’re interested in.
Why Este is pure and why we have to pass data through props?
Pure means no side effects. Programming without side effects rocks. It allows us to hot reload everything and testing is much easier as well. When component renders only data passed through props, shouldComponentUpdate can be implemented only once per whole app. One can say it’s verbose, but it isn’t. It’s explicit. And remember, we have to pass only data going to be rendered. Actions have access to app state.
How React Native is used in this project?
Just as regular React Native project created via
react-native init AwesomeProject. We can easily share modules across platforms. But remember to check gulpfile.babel.js for details.
- Este.js dev stack works on OSX, Linux, and Windows.
- As a rule of thumb, Este.js supports all evergreen browsers plus last two pieces of IE.
- Support Este.js development via Bitcoin - daniel.steigerwald.cz/#donate-estejs
made by Daniel Steigerwald, twitter.com/steida and the community