A curated list of awesome PostgreSQL software, libraries, tools and resources, inspired by awesome-mysql
PostgreSQL, often simply Postgres, is an object-relational database (ORDBMS). PostgreSQL is ACID-compliant and transactional. (see more: wikipedia:PostgreSQL, PostgreSQL.org)
:elephant: Contributions welcome. Add links through pull requests or create an issue to start a discussion. Please take a look at the contribution guidelines.
- BDR - BiDirectional Replication - a multimaster replication system for PostgreSQL
- Patroni - Template for PostgreSQL HA with ZooKeeper or etcd.
- Stolon - PostgreSQL HA based on Consul or etcd, with Kubernetes integration.
- pglookout - Replication monitoring and failover daemon.
- repmgr - Open-source tool suite to manage replication and failover in a cluster of PostgreSQL servers.
- Slony-I - “Master to multiple slaves” replication system with cascading and failover.
- PAF - PostgreSQL Automatic Failover: High-Availibility for Postgres, based on Pacemaker and Corosync.
- Barman - Backup and Recovery Manager for PostgreSQL by 2ndQuadrant.
- OmniPITR - Advanced WAL File Management Tools for PostgreSQL.
- pg_probackup – A fork of pg_arman, improved by @PostgresPro, supports incremental backups, backups from replica, multithreaded backup and restore, and anonymous backup without archive command.
- pgBackRest - Reliable PostgreSQL Backup & Restore.
- pghoard - Backup and restore tool for cloud object stores (AWS S3, Azure, Google Cloud, OpenStack Swift).
- wal-e - Simple Continuous Archiving for PostgreSQL to S3, Azure, or Swift by Heroku.
- Adminer - Full-featured database management tool written in PHP.
- DataGrip - IDE with advanced tool sets and good cross-platform experience (Commercial Software).
- Datazenit - Web-based PostgreSQL GUI (Commercial Software).
- DBeaver - Universal Database Manager with excellent support for PostgreSQL.
- dbglass - Cross-platform desktop client for PostgreSQL, built with Electron.
- JackDB - Web-based SQL query interface (Commercial Software).
- Metabase - Simple dashboards, charts and query tool for PostgreSQL.
- pgAdmin - PostgreSQL Administration and Management GUI.
- pgModeler - pgModeler is an open-source PostgreSQL Database Modeler.
- pgweb - Web-based PostgreSQL database browser written in Go.
- phpPgAdmin - The Premier Web Based Administration Tool for PostgreSQL.
- Postbird - PostgreSQL Client for macOS.
- Postico - Modern PostgreSQL Client for macOS (Commercial Software).
- PSequel - Clean and simple interface to perform common PostgreSQL tasks quickly (Commercial Software).
- SQL Tabs - Cross Platform Desktop Client for PostgreSQL written in JS.
- SQLPro for Postgres - Simple, powerful PostgreSQL manager for macOS (Commercial Software).
- Warp - macOS desktop tool for by-example querying and data transfer from/to PostgreSQL (Commercial Software).
- Postgres.app - The Easiest Way to Get Started with PostgreSQL on macOS.
- pgcli - Postgres CLI with autocompletion and syntax highlighting
- psql - The built-in PostgreSQL CLI client
- psql2csv - Run a query in psql and output the result as CSV
- Postgres-XL - Scalable Open Source PostgreSQL-based Database Cluster.
- Citus - Scalable PostgreSQL cluster for real-time workloads.
- check_pgactivity - check_pgactivity is designed to monitor PostgreSQL clusters from Nagios. It offers many options to measure and monitor useful performance metrics.
- Check_postgres - Nagios check_postgres plugin for checking status of PostgreSQL databases.
- Instrumental - Real-time performance monitoring, including pre-made graphs for ease of setup (Commercial Software)
- libzbxpgsql - Comprehensive PostgreSQL monitoring module for Zabbix.
- Pome - Pome stands for PostgreSQL Metrics. Pome is a PostgreSQL Metrics Dashboard to keep track of the health of your database.
- pg_view - Open-source command-line tool that shows global system stats, per-partition information, memory stats and other information.
- pgbench - Run a benchmark test on PostgreSQL.
- cstore_fdw - Columnar store for analytics with PostgreSQL.
- cyanaudit - Cyan Audit provides in-database logging of all DML activity on a column-by-column basis.
- pglogical - Extension that provides logical streaming replication.
- pg_partman - Partition management extension for PostgreSQL.
- pg_paxos - Basic implementation of Paxos and Paxos-based table replication for a cluster of PostgreSQL nodes.
- pg_shard - Extension to scale out real-time reads and writes.
- PGStrom - Extension to offload CPU intensive workloads to GPU.
- pgxn PostgreSQL Extension Network - central distribution point for many open-source PostgreSQL extensions
- plpgsql_check - Extension that allows to check plpgsql source code.
- PostGIS - Spatial and Geographic objects for PostgreSQL.
- PG_Themis - Postgres binding as extension for crypto library Themis, providing various security services on PgSQL’s side.
- zomboDB - Extension that enables efficient full-text searching via the use of indexes backed by Elasticsearch.
- PgHero - PostgreSQL insights made easy.
- pgtune - PostgreSQL configuration wizard.
- pgtune - Online version of PostgreSQL configuration wizard.
- pgconfig.org - PostgreSQL Online Configuration Tool (also based on pgtune).
- PoWA - PostgreSQL Workload Analyzer gathers performance stats and provides real-time charts and graphs to help monitor and tune your PostgreSQL servers.
- apgdiff - Compares two database dump files and creates output with DDL statements that can be used to update old database schema to new one.
- ERAlchemy - ERAlchemy generates Entity Relation (ER) diagram from databases.
- mysql-postgresql-converter - Lanyrd’s MySQL to PostgreSQL conversion script.
- ora2pg - Perl module to export an Oracle database schema to a PostgreSQL compatible schema.
- pg_activity - top like application for PostgreSQL server activity monitoring.
- pganalyze - PostgreSQL Performance Monitoring (Commercial Software).
- pgbadger - Fast PostgreSQL Log Analyzer.
- PgBouncer - Lightweight connection pooler for PostgreSQL.
- pgCenter - Provides convenient interface to various statistics, management task, reloading services, viewing log files and canceling or terminating database backends.
- pgclimb - Export data from PostgreSQL into different data formats.
- pgfutter - Import CSV and JSON into PostgreSQL the easy way.
- PGInsight - CLI tool to easily dig deep inside your PostgreSQL database.
- pgloader - Loads data into PostgreSQL using the COPY streaming protocol, and does so with separate threads for reading and writing data.
- pgpool-II - Middleware that provides connection pooling, replication, load balancing and limiting exceeding connections.
- pgsync - Tool to sync PostgreSQL data to your local machine.
- PGXN client - Command line tool to interact with the PostgreSQL Extension Network
- postgresql-metrics - Tool that extracts and provides metrics for your PostgreSQL database.
- PostgREST - Serves a fully RESTful API from any existing PostgreSQL database.
- pREST - Serve a RESTful API from any PostgreSQL database (Golang)
- yoke - PostgreSQL high-availability cluster with auto-failover and automated cluster recovery.
- pglistend - A lightweight PostgresSQL
NOTIFY daemon built on top of
- ZSON - PostgreSQL extension for transparent JSONB compression
- Postgres Weekly - Weekly newsletter that contains articles, news, and repos relevant to PostgreSQL.
PaaS (PostgreSQL as a Service)
- Aiven PostgreSQL - PostgreSQL as a service in AWS, Azure, DigitalOcean, Google Cloud and UpCloud; plans range from $19/month single node instances to large highly-available setups, free trial for two weeks.
- Amazon RDS for PostgreSQL - Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for PostgreSQL
- Citus Cloud - Production grade scaled out PostgreSQL as a service enabling real-time workloads and sharding your multi-tenant apps.
- Database Labs - Get a production-ready cloud PostgreSQL server in minutes, from $20 a month Backups, monitoring, patches, and 24⁄7 tech support all included.
- ElephantSQL - Offers databases ranging from shared servers for smaller projects and proof of concepts, up to enterprise grade multi server setups. Has free plan for up to 5 DBs, 20 MB each.
- Google Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL - Fully-managed database service that makes it easy to set up, maintain, manage, and administer your PostgreSQL relational databases on Google Cloud Platform. (Beta)
- Heroku Postgres - Plans from free to huge, operated by PostgreSQL experts. Does not require running your app on Heroku. Free plan includes 10,000 rows, 20 connections, up to two backups, and has PostGIS support.