Intelligently reopen files at your last edit position. By default git, svn, and mercurial commit messages are ignored because you probably want to type a new message and not re-edit the previous one.
Advantages over the snippets that can be found around the net include: * Maximizes Available Context - Center the cursor vertically after restoring last edit position. - Keep as much of the file on screen as possible when last edit position is at the end of the file. * Commit messages automatically start beginning of the file. This is important because many version control systems re-use the same file for commit message editing. * Opens folds if the last edit position is inside a fold.
Thanks to David Rabel’s hard work, you can install vim-lastplace from debian-testing:
apt-get install vim-lastplace
You can also use pathogen.vim or other plugin managers to install and use vim-lastplace.
cd ~/.vim/bundle git clone git://github.com/farmergreg/vim-lastplace.git
You can configure what file types to ignore by setting g:lastplace_ignore in your vimrc. This is a comma separated list. By default it is set to:
let g:lastplace_ignore = "gitcommit,gitrebase,svn,hgcommit"
You can configure buffer types to ignore by setting g:lastplace_ignore_buftype in your vimrc. This is a comma separated list. By default it is set to:
let g:lastplace_ignore_buftype = "quickfix"
Folds are automatically opened when jumping to the last edit position. If you do not like this behavior you can disable it by putting this in your vimrc:
let g:lastplace_open_folds = 0
This plugin is complete and stable. Please do not be afraid to try it even if there is very little recent activity in this repository. If you do find a bug, please submit a pull request that fixes whatever problem you’re having.
- Add g:lastplace_ignore_buftype setting.
- Update github links from username dietsche to farmergreg.
- Add g:lastplace_open_folds option.
- Point release for Debian packaging. Changes all http links to https. No code changes.
- A fix for files that are smaller than the current screen size (issue #8)
- A fix for files with modelines.
- Open folds if the last edited area is inside a closed fold.
- Add gitrebase filetype to the ignore list.
- Center the screen when restoring the cursor position.
- When at the end of a file, keep as much of it on screen as possible.
- Initial version.
- Author : Greg Dietsche
- Web Page: https://www.gregd.org/
Get the latest version, submit pull requests, and file bug reports on GitHub: - https://github.com/farmergreg/vim-lastplace
If you like this plugin, please star and rate it on these sites: