Neovim is a project that seeks to aggressively refactor Vim in order to:
- Simplify maintenance and encourage contributions
- Split the work between multiple developers
- Enable advanced external UIs without modifications to the core
- Improve extensibility with a new plugin architecture
For more details, see the wiki!
What's been done so far
- RPC API based on MessagePack
- Embedded terminal emulator
- Asynchronous job control
- Shared data (shada) among multiple editor instances
- XDG base directories support
- libuv-based platform/OS/"mch" layer
- Pushdown automaton input model
- 1000s of new tests
- Legacy tests converted to Lua tests
:help nvim-features for a comprehensive list.
What's being worked on now
See the Roadmap.
How do I get it?
There is a Debian package, homebrew formula, PKGBUILD for Arch Linux, RPM, and more. See the wiki!
Neovim is licensed under the terms of the Apache 2.0 license, except for parts that were contributed under the Vim license.
Contributions committed before b17d96 remain under the Vim license.
- Contributions committed after b17d96 are licensed under
Apache 2.0 unless those contributions were copied from Vim (identified in
the commit logs by the
LICENSE for details.
Vim is Charityware. You can use and copy it as much as you like, but you are encouraged to make a donation for needy children in Uganda. Please see the kcc section of the vim docs or visit the ICCF web site, available at these URLs: http://iccf-holland.org/ http://www.vim.org/iccf/ http://www.iccf.nl/ You can also sponsor the development of Vim. Vim sponsors can vote for features. The money goes to Uganda anyway.