You are able to write down your thoughts with QOwnNotes and edit or search for them later from your mobile device, like with CloudNotes or the ownCloud web-service.
The notes are stored as plain text files and are synced with ownCloud’s file sync functionality. Of course other software, like Dropbox can be used too.
I like the concept of having notes accessible in plain text files, like it is done in the ownCloud notes app, to gain a maximum of freedom, but I was not able to find a decent desktop note taking tool or a text editor, that handles them well. Out of this need QOwnNotes was born.
Visit the project page here: QOwnNotes project page
To get more features for your notes with ownCloud, like versioning and trash access, you might also want to install QOwnNotesAPI on your ownCloud server.
You can visit the QOwnNotes project page for more screenshots.
- one or many notes folders can be chosen
- notes can be created, edited, viewed and removed
- list of notes is shown
- older versions of your notes can be restored from your ownCloud server (install QOwnNotesAPI on your server)
- trashed notes can be restored from your ownCloud server (install QOwnNotesAPI on your server)
- sub-string searching of notes is possible and search results are highlighted in the notes
- application can be operated with customizable keyboard shortcuts
- external changes of note files are watched (notes or note list are reloaded)
- differences between current note and externally changed note are showed in a dialog
- markdown highlighting of notes and a markdown preview mode
- notes are getting their name from the first line of the note text (just like in the ownCloud notes web-application) and the note text files are automatically renamed, if the the first line changes
- manage your ownCloud todo lists (ownCloud tasks or Tasks Plus / Calendar Plus)
- encryption of notes (AES-256 is built in or you can use custom encryption methods like Keybase.io (encryption-keybase.qml) or PGP (encryption-pgp.qml))
- dark mode theme support (if your operating system supports it)
- all panels can be placed wherever you want, they can even float or stack (fully dockable)
- support for freedesktop theme icons, so you can use QOwnNotes with your native desktop icons and with your favorite dark desktop theme QOwnNotes supports Freedesktop icon themes
- QOwnNotes is available in many different languages like English, German,
French, Polish, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Hungarian, Dutch and Spanish
- YOUR help is needed to maintain these translations or to translate QOwnNotes in more languages
- support for hierarchical note tagging and note subfolders
- support for sharing notes on your ownCloud server
- portable mode for carrying QOwnNotes around on USB sticks
- Evernote import
To get the most current features you can build the application from the source code. Download the latest source here: QOwnNotes Source on GitHub as ZIP
Alternatively you can also checkout the code directly from the git repository:
git clone https://github.com/pbek/QOwnNotes.git -b master cd QOwnNotes git submodule update --init
Then download Qt Creator, open the project file
src/QOwnNotes.pro and click on Build / Build Project QOwnNotes.
Or you can build it directly in your terminal:
cd src qmake make
Please feel free to contribute source code to this project, make suggestions or report troubles on the QOwnNotes issues page!
You can also visit QOwnNotes on GitHub.
If you are having trouble or would like to help out, join
#qownnotes on Freenode.
Kiwi IRC (IRC in your web browser): QOwnNotes IRC
Join the chat at gitter
Minimum software requirements
- A desktop operating system, that supports Qt
- Qt 5.3+
- gcc 4.8+
This SOFTWARE PRODUCT is provided by THE PROVIDER “as is” and “with all faults.” THE PROVIDER makes no representations or warranties of any kind concerning the safety, suitability, lack of viruses, inaccuracies, typographical errors, or other harmful components of this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.
There are inherent dangers in the use of any software, and you are solely responsible for determining whether this SOFTWARE PRODUCT is compatible with your equipment and other software installed on your equipment. You are also solely responsible for the protection of your equipment and backup of your data, and THE PROVIDER will not be liable for any damages you may suffer in connection with using, modifying, or distributing this SOFTWARE PRODUCT.