.. image:: https://secure.travis-ci.org/pytest-dev/pytest-django.png?branch=master :alt: Build Status :target: https://travis-ci.org/pytest-dev/pytest-django
Welcome to pytest-django!
pytest-django allows you to test your Django project/applications with the
pytest testing tool <http://pytest.org/>_.
Quick start / tutorial <https://pytest-django.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorial.html>_
Full documentation: https://pytest-django.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Contribution docs <https://pytest-django.readthedocs.io/en/latest/contributing.html>_
- Django: 1.7-1.10 and latest master branch (compatible at the time of each release)
- Python: CPython 2.7,3.3-3.5 or PyPy 2,3
- pytest: >2.9.x
Project maintainers: Andreas Pelme, Floris Bruynooghe and Daniel Hahler
All contributors <https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-django/contributors>_
Github repository: https://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-django
Issue tracker <http://github.com/pytest-dev/pytest-django/issues>_
Python Package Index (PyPI) <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pytest-django/>_
pip install pytest-django
Why would I use this instead of Django's
manage.py test command?
Running your test suite with pytest-django allows you to tap into the features that are already present in pytest. Here are some advantages:
Manage test dependencies with pytest fixtures. <http://pytest.org/latest/fixture.html>_
- Less boilerplate tests: no need to import unittest, create a subclass with methods. Write tests as regular functions.
- Database re-use: no need to re-create the test database for every test run.
- Run tests in multiple processes for increased speed (with the pytest-xdist plugin).
- Make use of other
pytest plugins <http://pytest.org/latest/plugins.html>_.
- Works with both worlds: Existing unittest-style TestCase's still work without any modifications.
pytest documentation <http://pytest.org/latest/>_ for more information on pytest itself.